Deep Dive on Diabetes for Practitioners

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you. At SAFM we honor that scientific knowledge is always evolving. That’s why we regularly revise our content in light of new research findings.

This information is CRITICAL for ALL practitioner modalities.

[Want to take your practice to the next level? Then click here to learn more about our Semester Program]

Are you confident in your metabolic dysfunction knowledge?

Although you may already be a savvy practitioner, I am certain you will learn something new in this video. You’ll walk away with pages of notes and practical pearls you can use in your practice right away.

• The #1 lab marker that could turn the tide on the Type 2 Diabetes epidemic.
  • Surprising Root Causes that have Nothing to do with Diet
  • The keto craze and the fasting fad. As usual, the Devil is in the detail!
  • A low carb diet may drive Up blood sugar. Huh? Yes! Do you know why?
  • To fat or not to fat for diabetes? An important catch-22 about increasing good quality fats for diabetics.
  • The Resistance continues: from Insulin to Leptin!
  • Are the Microbes in charge again on this one too? Dis-ease begins in the gut yet again!
  • “You can eat a perfect diet, exercise regularly, and ______ can still cause early death.” (and often, Type 2 Diabetes!)
  • Downstream disease: Kidneys, Eyes, Neurons, and then the Liver! Alas, a classic downward spiral.
  • Remedies that work! Even better than medication (true data, not hype).

Thank you ALL for participating and sharing your inspiring comments, learning, and virtual hugs!

Like us on Facebook to get more great clinical tips and to get notifications on my next Facebook Live!

139 Questions for “Deep Dive on Diabetes for Practitioners”

navigate comments 1 3 4 5 6 7
    Charlene Wark says:

What another great training video Tracy. My favorite pearls were the insulin resistance begins in the large muscles of the legs. The second one was the fact that fasting glucose can go down to a lower range, while our insulin levels are rising , while our pancreas is working overtime to lower our blood sugar. There were so many great pearls (6 pages) 🤭.

Charlene Wark

Cindi Stickle says:

Pearls I learned today: how oxidative stress and stress in general really has an impact on diabetes. I’m a health coach focusing on diabetes and holistic nutritionist. Thanks!

Sheryl Jernigan says:

Yes fasting Insulin is drawn on all my patients. If they are a diabetic I also draw a c-peptide thanks for information!

Denise Fleetwood says:

Great Live Tracy, as always! I always learn so much from you, which always creates more questions! 😉

Favorite Pearls and ‘ah hah’ moments….
    I would love to know more about HgbA1C only being accurate over only 2 months for women due to their menstrual cycle, as well as making sure their Hgb levels are not an issue and how it all relates.

While I knew that stress, illness, and a myriad of other things affect blood sugar, I never realized that exposure to toxins can drive it up as well. Who would have guessed that your skin cream, or your cleaners would affect your blood sugar, but it makes sense. Living with MCS, I am painfully aware of a cascade of affects those things can have on a person, sensitive or not, but never made the connection to blood sugar! I’ve been working on being as chemical free as possible, but it’s still out there…… everywhere!

I would also love to know more about ALL the information you shared in regards to the keto diet being used to treat diabetes; the good, the bad, and the ugly. The info on fats, oxidation, how low carb can drive UP your blood sugar, leptin…. I know it can be VERY successful, but there are always more things to consider. Nothing is ever as simple as it would seem!

Michelle says:

I learn something new each month with these live deep dives:

Todays take away:
    Insulin Resistance begins in the large muscles of the legs first!
    A sedentary lifestyle leads to insulin resistance.

Emily Hsu says:

There are so many insightful pearls. I love them all. “Fasting insulin” is #1 lab marker–truly striking. “Preventing and Reversing diabetes” is one of my deep-dive clinical focuses. I truly agree with you Tracy. There is no single diet which is perfect and fits everyone. I am more keen to natural whole foods as medicine, but personalized. I have been doubting of all these popular diets on the market—up (super popular) and down (fade away). It is like fashion–not staying for too long. “One formula fits all” is very dangerous. Every individual is very unique and special. I love Functional Medicine approach–science-based, personalized, and patient-centered. I am loving SAFM and Tracy for your professional, insightful, intelligent, empowering, and authentic teaching. It is a sacred mission and special calling! I am ALL IN to this amazing journey!! Thanks a lot!

Nikki says:

Thanks for the presentation!
    The best pearl for me was the microbiome connection to DMII.
    I had no idea the gut Flora for an obese individual can differ and the association with actinobacterIa overgrowth. Also insulin resistance beginning in the quads and large muscles of the legs

Brenda Lee says:

I have so many family members and people I know that are suffering or have died from diabetes complications and I know that this webinar with all of this great information will be very helpful to them.

Mireille Wagner says:

Woo! So many great pearls again Tracy… I stayed up until 2am to listen and qualify so I’ll definitely be doing another listen. Big pearl for me was the challenge of going low-carb or Fasting by causing dramatic fluctuations blood sugar due to already elevated levels of insulin and this resulting in likely dizzy spells, hanger, and subsequent self medication with sugary foods. Also Big pearl is how STRESS ALONE can cause insulin resistance.
    Thank you to you and the team at SAFM for your teaching and helping us being these gifts to the world.

Melissa S says:

I loved learning about all the stages of insulin resistance!

There was so much good info here! I need to go back and relisten so I can take notes!

Julie MARTIN says:

I was amazed that IR starts in the large muscles of lower body. It’s so helpful for someone with IR to know the “why” and be able to respond w a “how.” Walking more and doing some squats?….that doesn’t seem so daunting to my Dad, who needed a “why/how” to move more! Thank you Tracy.

Keri Douglas says:

This was a great presentation filled with so many little pearls that I found useful. I was particularly surprised to learned that insulin resistance starts in the large muscles of the legs! I also enjoyed learning about early intervention especially in people with the typical western diet that show low glucose levels which on paper looks great but is a red flag! Thank you! I would love to see more!

Tina says:

My pearl from today was that insulin resistance begins in the large muscles of the legs!
    Always such great information Tracy! Love your enthusiasm and the ease in which you deliver the information.
    Thank you!

Jennifer says:

Thank you for another awesome FB Live! I think my favorite pearl was that we must look for the inconsistencies to point us to further investigation. If blood glucose markers are inconsistent with experience and symptoms we need to dig deeper (such as fasting insulin) rather than discount one or the other.

Lisa Irving says:

As always I’m so grateful for the opportunity to be a student at SAFM.
    So much to learn and such an eye opening experience every time I’m listening to every single webinar.
    I can’t wait for the time when preventative medicine will become the norm and we won’t have to try and
    reverse conditions that could have been averted in the first place. I’ve been taking so many notes today and
    I will take them with me when I go to visit my dad this summer and I will do my best to help him implement all the positive changes that will help reverse his blood sugar and insulin issues. Really look forward to the updated version of the deep dive course this August!
    Thank you Tracy for sharing this information so generously, it is needed by so many people!

Sue Hartfield says:

Hi Tracy! The clinical pearl I thought that was most powerful was the explanation about the stage 2 insulin resistance. Specifically how patients have low glucose levels and high fasting insulin levels (which is never checked by modern medicine), and everyone thinks the patient is ok. But what really made total sense to me is the explanation of why patients get so hypoglycemic if they try to fast since they have an abundance of insulin around. Thanks for another great lecture.

Kimberly Hill says:

Biggest epiphany: We can treat diabetes type 2! I come from a traditional nurse practitioner training background. I feel empowered to help myself and my patients to have better lives.

Thank you so much!
    kim

John Castella says:

My two favorite pearls:
    1) How insulin resistance may first start i the large muscles of our legs…. never gave that any thought…

2) How a reasonable normal HbA1C with high glucose may be the result of high cortisol upon awakening.

Lisa Fetters says:

I learned that seeing a low blood sugar # can be an indication of high amounts of insulin and the beginnings of insulin resistance. I also learned that elevated insulin can contribute to PCOS and hypertension. All of this was very fascinating! I can’t wait to learn more. Thank you!

Jenny says:

Thank you for all of the information today! I was especially interested in the fasting insulin information, I work in a physician’s office and we do not check that. That may be useful for some family members as well, myself included. Along with the impact of exercise on insulin resistance – that gives me more information to share with patients as I encourage them to stick with an exercise program.

I have also become interested in learning more about berberine and it’s usefulness in diabetes. Additional information on the role of supplements would be great!

navigate comments 1 3 4 5 6 7