The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you.  At SAFM we teach our students to be both confident and highly skilled at “puzzle piecing” and finding the interconnectedness between pieces of each patient’s unique case. In this presentation, I’ll share a few staples but also a number of unexpected connections which will likely surprise you!

Check out this video to get some clinical pearls you can use in your practice right away.  You’ll learn:

• Example of unexpected connection in Arthritis, Autoimmune disease, and Type 2 diabetes (Ha – I bet you’re surprised!)
  • The Classic Mistake many practitioners are making about Rapid Relief and Root Causes (Are you doing it too?)
  • Most commonly missed impacts of medications
  • Alarming examples of where the typical remedy is actually making the disease process worse (Yes, worse)
  • Where to start when nothing seems to fit together?!? (Yep, we’ve all been there before)

Please add a comment below to share what most resonated with you in this video or feel free to ask a clarifying question. I am very interested in what you think.

Thanks very much for joining in the fun and learning!

If you are not yet a student of SAFM and have questions, you may find more information about the Core 101 Semester Program here.  Or click here and we can happily arrange for you to speak with an SAFM graduate about our program and how it may help you in your specific situation. SAFM is definitely not for everyone. But it may indeed be the next step you are looking for that will Change Everything!

P.S. If you know that healthcare must be transformed to be sustainable and effective, and you believe strongly that Functional Medicine is key to making that happen, we urge you to learn about our semester program.

Like us on Facebook to get more great clinical tips and to get notifications of my next Facebook Live!

215 Questions for “The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness”

navigate comments 1 3 4 5 6 7 11
    Jennifer Ryan says:

I just love listening to your LIVES! Cortisol is a hot topic word in a lot of my recent one on one conversations with potential clients. You hit the nail on the head — everyone is so eager to “one up” everyone with their stressful lives. It’s ridiculous! I recently cracked a new book – The Tapping Solution for Manifesting Your Greatest Self & it really touches on a lot of how we can do simple things to relieve emotional, mental, and physical stress through tapping. I had never really heard of this, but as I read, I’m just so intrigued!

This is a really cool video you can watch – just 5 minutes!

Nicole says:

Random, but when you were talking about constipation and how sluggish parts of the digestive system can also cause IBS symptoms, that for some reason had never clicked for me until now! I have struggles with hypothyroid issues, sluggish everything!

Sara Robl says:

Loved the reminders to not forget sleep, stress reduction and eliminating crap food. I found the LPS connection to psoriasis and fibromyalgia very interesting!

Christina says:

Thank you very much for today’s Facebook live video. I enjoyed learning more about the role of magnesium and blood pressure. In addition, I appreciated today’s discussion on how the impairment of vitamin K2 can affect the body’s capacity to handle calcium effectively. Lots of great information and clinical pearls. Very inspiring and engaging as well. I look forward to learning more again!

Josh says:

Hi Tracy!

Thank you so much for your inspiring and insightful video today! As always, I’m beyond impressed by your knack for presenting what might be “heady” information in such an eloquent and easy-to-understand way,

I especially liked your conversation about going back to basics first. Although it’s fun jumping into the world of functional medicine labs, it’s so true that if the fundamentals aren’t dialed in, our time (as well as the patient’s time) will be wasted. I also loved how you talked about the puzzle pieces, especially as it relates to hypothyroidism.

At some point, I’d love to hear which food allergy/sensitivity tests you think are most useful. I heard recently of a study that used ALCAT testing with patients with either UC or Crohn’s disease. Long story short, test subjects who ate a diet in line ALCAT results had significant symptom improvement. Thoughts?

Also, at some point, I’d love to hear your thoughts on pyroluria. As a future psychiatric NP, this is something I hope to address in my patients. I’d love to hear your methods for testing, and treatment.

Thanks again in advance! You are a HUGE inspiration and I look forward to attending SAFM after finishing my graduate work.

Josh

Drew Pearlman says:

I love how you go so much deeper than the obvious, surface level symptom and dive into the root causes. For instance the potential impact of the gut on inflammation in the joints. thank you!

Rebekka Maestre says:

Thank you Tracy for another amazing talk, you are so inspiring! I appreciated every part of the talk and some highlights are reminders about thyroid being upstream to digestive issues, and digestive issues being upstream to joint issues, and looking at health like a puzzle and starting with the obvious pieces. Great way to describe it to clients too! I’m applying that to myself too. Thanks!!!

Kerri Belsito says:

Still confused where this all fits in legally with ability to diagnose & treat here in the US.

Hi Kerri – Here at SAFM we have students with a huge variety of backgrounds, prior training, degrees, certifications, licenses, locations, preferences, and mindsets. Some work on their own in entrepreneurial ventures; others work as part of multi-modality teams or as part of clinics or established medical practices. So clearly there is no “one”, right answer! As a result, we don’t teach any guidelines at all on scope of practice, leaving it up to each individual to pursue the practice that they feel is best for them. Regardless, we believe a thorough education and understanding is vital and valuable to ALL practitioners! Regardless of modality or scope, we believe the three most valuable services we all provide to patients/clients include (1) Inspiration, (2) Education, and (3) Empowerment. After all, you cannot teach and inspire a client with something that you yourself don’t thoroughly understand.

Feres says:

Tracy’s videos are full with passion and enthousiasm.

When you know something very well you can explain it easily and make it look simple!

Kara Kochan says:

Hi Tracy. As always, I loved your presentation and took away so much from your pearls of clinical wisdom. I have been working as a health coach and social worker for many years, but find the in-depth knowledge you provide in these webinars invaluable. What resonated most with me during this webinar, was your discussion about the interconnectedness of got health and joint pain and arthritis. I’ve been trying to assist my father with chronic arthritis pain and joint inflammation for number of years now. He was a career firefighter for over 30 years and was left with significant arthritis and joint pain, primarily in his hands and knees. Despite having done this work for number of years, I had never thought about the interconnectedness of the gut and joint pain. You’ve given me a real take away that I plan to think about and implement immediately. As always, thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Ruchika Behal says:

Very practical information, everything about the school and Tracy’s teachings resonates with me… I love the analogies and simple explanations which are perfect for me to repeat to my clients!
    I am committed to start core 101 next week ! But ofcourse winning this opportunity would be a gift indeed so I can pursue the extra bonuses that you offer like the MNT and Deep Dive Courses and hopefully also pursue the next semester. Thank you for all the sharing!

Esther says:

Great livestream! Thank you for sharing so much value! I agree with your statement that often we jump to the complicated stuff and skip over the basics like sleep and hydration. It hit me again today when I mentioned to a potential client that her stress can impact her weight–it is so obvious to me, but a brand new revelation to her. Both her reaction and then your livestream were great reminders to start with the basics. Thank you.

Tracy Thompson says:

Great video and lots of good insight! As a patient who had to fire her conventional doctor (actually she told me to find someone else) because I couldn’t live with the brain fog and multitude of other symptoms associated with low T3, I am learning how important functional medicine is. A quick look on PubMed taught me that my erratic low blood sugars (as a type 1 diabetic) could be associated with poorly controlled thyroid and not “overdosing” and wouldn’t you know the blood sugars improved once I altered my thyroid meds. Your video today also confirmed my suspicions that my likely low stomach acid is wreaking havoc on my gut health. I long to dig my teach into this functional world in a more in-depth way, it’s where real health and healing can be found! Favorite pearl was asking the patient what their intuition say’s- what wisdom! 🙂

Mary Campbell says:

Hi Tracy
    Thanks for another amazing presentation! I love the way you connect all the dots by looking both up and downstream for true roots in broader disease states. This really resonates with me! I’m a science geek who’s been in the Life Sciences for 22 years and is ready to create change UPSTREAM for my clients in terms of healthy sustainable lifestyles that help to mitigate the risk of getting sick. Thanks for enthusiastically distilling what might otherwise be quite technical information into understandable, bite size pieces. You’re the best!

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and kind words, Mary! I am delighted to have the opportunity to support you personally. Congratulations on your win! Warmly, Tracy

Julie says:

No cell is an island!! I work at a big hospital where specialist abound. I confident functional medicine is a better approach for so many patients, and I’m glad you are paving the way! My mother’s arthritis is surely related to her other ailments and lifestyle. I hope the next generations understand that health starts in the gut (a hard sell for mom). Thanks, Tracy!

Jeanine Toes says:

I like how you take it back to root cause and doing foundational work. When did medicine become about drugs and not about curing? I particularly like hearing about autoimmunes-hypothyroid and arthritis. While i don’t have arthritis most of my family suffers with osteo or rheumatoid arthritis and i know there has to be a better way! I’m interested in hypothyroid, which is skyrocketing in women! Many thanks-I’m going to rewatch now to take notes!

Natalie says:

Thank you! Everything is starting to make so much sense. I found interesting when you you mention food being adjusted to accommodate for the medication. Also, that there is a place for medication, but in the long-term can worsen the issue or illness it was prescribed to address. An example being Coumadin or blood thinning drugs. I become more and more curious with each FB Live. Thank you!

Sheri Porter says:

I enjoyed today’s presentation very much. I like the idea of starting with low-hanging fruit and working your way inward. That idea takes a lot of pressure off of me. I keep feeling like I should know everything in a very short time. Of course that doesn’t usually happen. This idea helps me to relax and listen to the client. Knowing that stress management, good diet and sleep are important, I can always incorporate questions regarding these topics. But listening to my client and focus on the obvious and delve deeper overtime is a great way for me to navigate the visits. Thank you for that.
    Also, I didn’t know that when the pancreas gets pooped and produces less insulin, it also produces less digestive enzymes. It makes perfect sense!

Lisa P says:

I thought it was great to hear about the downstream effects of stress and that no cell is an island.

fiz Colon says:

Greetings Tracy,
    I Love how you are straight to the point and do no beat around the bush. i have entered my shamanic journey as a young man looking to heal his own body, Mind, And spirit. i found your page from researching many different schools and certifications for holistic sciences. Your Podcast was very informative and assessing. I have been coaching clients for years on finding balance on every level of our being. Mainstream Medicine only treats Symptoms by Masking Side effects but indeed we must learn to treat the root cause of their personal illness or dis-ease. I resonate with your holistic Approach to health and wellness. I have seen many of my clients struggling with addictions to crap food and beverages worsening their condition. Most doctors overlook diet and sleep and jump to medications and treating your symptoms. I Would love to join the school and further my studies in holistic sciences so that I may treat as many clients as possible so that they may one day be able to treat themselves and help those around them. i am seeing younger and younger people come to me with cancer, diabetes, and hyper-thyroidsism and are losing hope with mainstream doctors and being prescribed artificial medications. I could write a book about this hour video alone. You have addressed many valid points from auto-immune disease, arthritis, to chronic fatigue, inflammation, oxidative stress, and hormonal imbalances. hoping i win and begin this course, would be an honor to work and learn from you as well as getting certified with applied functional medicine. thank you tracy for all these gems. Will make use of these notes with my treatment of terminal illnesses.

I was wondering if we are not able to take blood samples of our patients how can we begin to adequately assess and treat their disease or illness? I would like to truly study the root causes of disease ad disfunction so better understand the effects and symptoms that i am seeing with clients.

navigate comments 1 3 4 5 6 7 11