The Biggest Myths about Supplements

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you. At SAFM we honor that scientific knowledge is always evolving. That’s why we are always revising our content in light of new research findings.

[Wanting to take your practice to the next level? Then click here to learn more about our Semester Program]

Supplements are a provocative topic! Some practitioners shun them as toxic. Others believe copious, high-doses are necessary. As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle. But confusion abounds! And this is a particularly myth-riddled topic with way too much information coming from unsubstantiated claims in blogs. Catch the latest video here.

Targeted nutrient or therapeutic supplementation can indeed be a powerful tool. But there are some common mistakes that we see practitioners make over and over again. Sometimes they can prevent client progress. Other times they might actually be causing harm.

In this video, you will learn about COMMON (and not so common) truths about Supplementation and some good old-fashioned myth busting!

Are you confident in this arena?

Although you may already be a savvy practitioner, I am certain you will learn something new that you can apply right away in your practice.

• The common physician recommendation that is causing heart attacks
  • The most common supplement-medication mistake
  • A voice of reason amidst all the MTHFR pop craziness
  • What those strange symptoms after starting a Vitamin D supplement are all about
  • A truly surprising reason why iron status (ferritin) isn’t getting better
  • And much, much more!

P.S. If you know that healthcare must be transformed to be sustainable and effective, and you believe strongly that Functional Medicine is key to making that happen, we urge you to learn about our semester program.

Like us on Facebook to get more great clinical tips and to get notifications of my next Facebook Live!

67 Questions for “The Biggest Myths about Supplements”

navigate comments1 2 3 4
    Yuliyana Nikolova says:

Hi Tracy and team, I liked this live talk, as always. I like the way you presented the process of nutrient depletion by taking pharmaceutical drugs. And not just this – many, many pearls, as always. Thanks

Theresa says:

I have over 47 years of medical background in women’s health and primary care and you still give me the information I was not aware of, is new or have forgotten.
    After prescribing Iron for pregnant women for years, I didn’t know it was important to use Iron amino acid chelates. I didn’t even know the stomach lining thinned with long term use of PPIs.
    WOW.
    I love your information. Thanks.
    You help me be a better provider.

Donna Ake says:

Thank you for another fabulous and enthusiastic look into some of the myths and truths about supplements. I was actually suprised to learn that iron supplementation should not be fone on a daily basis and further more, not in divided doses, rather all at once and not daily. The dynamic surrounding that and why and how was an ah-ha moment for me. #goodtoknow ???? Thank you!

Amanda Mae says:

The facebook live today was so informative. I especially appreciated the discussion on whole foods vs. synthetic supplements. I’ve been trying to do my own research on this topic and it can be overwhelming. You are a wealth of information. Thank you!

Maureen Veronica O'Hare says:

Great session! I love the information on the whole food supplement myth. It’s so great to be in-the-know here at SAFM instead of whipped around by industry marketing. Thanks!!

MJ says:

As always, very informative! Thank you. Do you have concerns about multivitamins with folic acid?

Ju-Ann Phoa says:

I’m a new core 101 student of just 3 weeks. Definitely overwhelmed as I am new to health coaching and do not have a medical background. I didn’t even know Vitamin K has two forms and that is interesting as we take K1 and our bodies make K2. I know with repetition all this information will become knowledge. Thank you Tracy.

Lora Kinner says:

This was the first time that I joined you for a webinar. It was a lot of new information but very useful. What I found most interesting was about the bodies immune system not being able to recognize foods because they have changed so much…causing an inflammatory response.

Liz says:

I really liked that everything talked about relates to what I am hearing from other sources. I will be looking into the courses. Thank you!

Julie Hager says:

Thank you for sharing. Today I learned valuable information to pass on to my parents, both diabetic. I did’t know that metaformin can lead to low vitamin B12. Also, that diuretics can lead to magnesium and potassium deficient. My parents take these too.

Thankful to have learned some new pearls to pass on!

MARIA GABRIELA MORENO says:

Hi, Thanks for another wonderful live FB session,
    I mostly love how practical the pearls are but in this topic I was mostly inspired to find better sources of nutrients for mi clients and for my self.
    What are the ways you have to identify nutrient repletion?

Maureen Lapp says:

I learned a lot from this webinar however I was most interested in learning about how practitioners are overusing supplements in response to genetic snyps (i.e. MTHFR c6771). It was interesting to learn of the other levels to be considered to investigate if there is a problem associated with this gene mutation.

Stacy LeQuire says:

Missed the beginning (hoping I can go back to watch!) but loved the pearl of really dialing in the mucosal lining for folks before addressing hypochlorhydria. Also iron supplementation tips are immediately applicable to a young client of mine.

Rachel Devereux says:

I liked the nugget around zinc in vegans.

Deb Gowen says:

My Comment for entry into contest:
    I liked the awareness that substitution of “natural” supplements for pharmaceuticals is just another pushing around of the body, not necessarily a switch to Functional medicine.

Linda Noel says:

Thank you, Tracy, for the pearl about the timing of taking iron supplements. I have been taking them daily and will now cut back to every 2-3 days. Your rationalization makes complete sense!

Richard Sewersky says:

I especially enjoyed the discussion regarding metformin depletion of B12 for diabetics possibly contributing to neuropathy. My wife just restarted metformin and I will check her B12 levels and supplementation. I will also look for more data on the SAFM website.

Ranim Salame says:

Tracy is such an inspiring person and I always enjoy listening to her. In particular today I was very happy to learn so many things about supplements. I work at an Endocrinology Medical office so a lot of my patients are diabetics who use Metformin. I did not know that Metformin creates a deficiency in vitamin B12 which in return triggers neuropathy. This is very valuable information and I am very grateful to have learned this after watching her live on Facebook along with many other things. Thank you!

Brenda Hurst says:

I just love listening to you explain how our bodies work. I get so much from each lesson!! Thank you
    I have been put in charge of my grandmothers supplement regime and I sure would like to take your Nutrients &supplements 101.

Kiran Hahn says:

I’m unclear about the different forms of magnesium. Is there a handout or a seminar that really covers magnesium in all it’s different forms so I can brush up my knowledge?

navigate comments1 2 3 4