Weight Loss Myths and Truths Through the Functional Medicine Lens

Although you may already be a savvy practitioner, I am certain you will learn something new in this video about Weight Loss Myths and Truths Through the Functional Medicine Lens. You’ll walk away with pages of notes and practical pearls you can use in your practice right away.

• The biggest Gift you can give a patient who “just wants to lose weight”. It’s Not what you think!
  • Hormone havoc: the top Four patterns that naturally promote weight gain. Look for these.
  • Weight loss can promote disease. Huh?! This one will surprise you.
  • Fasting? Facts, Fads, and Flaws!
  • Losing weight is Way easier than this More Important next step.
  • Calories in, calories out. Yes, but that’s only the beginning! Can you confidently explain the rest of the story your patients?
  • The #1 way to be Sure to Gain Weight long-term. And it’s still what So many people are doing to try to lose weight.
  • Transcending Hunger and Habits. Practical devil-in-the-detail clinical tips.
  • Obesity begins in the gut? Yep, yet again!

Please share your thoughts (please be thorough) in the “Ask a Question” area below about what inspired you in this presentation. Include what type of practitioner you are, so that we can all see your unique perspective.

* No need to enter a comment more than once. Comments will not be published instantly; they will first be checked by the moderators before appearing.

198 Questions for “Weight Loss Myths and Truths Through the Functional Medicine Lens”

Lisa Karlan says:

So very interesting. Literally all the things I’m trying to figure out got myself right now. I’m fascinated by the role of insulin and the relationship between hyper insulinemia thyroid and other hormones. Thank you as always for your insight.

Carol Davison says:

I really love that I can now explain to clients why they never ‘get ill’

Thank you for your amazing work and teachings

x

Carol

Sarah Hammett says:

This was a fantastic live video full of take-aways! I am a Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and this has been so helpful. I have a few clients who want to lose weight and most believe the whole calories in, calories out process but don’t understand the difference between good and bad calories and looking at the whole picture. I loved the example of people thinking that loosing weight is just like getting a haircut or changing some other outward appearance. It’s not that simple! Stress and food sensitives are huge. I feel like that’s one of the biggest things I focus on with clients- such a good reminder! I learned a lot!

Neeta Jhaveri says:

I am a Level 2 student right now and I just cannot express how amazing the journey at SAFM is. Tracy’s passion is infectious and super motivating.
    I enjoyed today”s Live and I am amazed at the interconnectedness I keep learning more and more each day
    Thank you so much SAFM and thank you Tracy and her superb TEAM too.

Laura Timmons says:

I really enjoy listening to your webinars and look forward to taking your classes as soon as I am able! The thing I found most interesting is how toxins may cause obesity! I have struggled with obesity for a long time. Have hypothyroidism and had it before the labs showed anything. I even went to a Endocrinologist but the labs didn’t show it. I struggled with infertility, I have raynauds in my hands, I have struggled with being cold. I know have diagnosed hypothyroidism as well as a cyst on my thryoid. And this last time my antibodies are starting to show. My family and I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as well as grass fed beef. I am trying to exercise but have problems with my legs and feet.

I look forward to continue learning from you! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Mandeep Bhatnagar says:

It was yet another one of the jampacked educational presentation. Learnt so much about the Yo-Yo Dieting. Few pearls that I stood out to me were: Yo-Yo diets mobilize toxins and if we don’t appropriately support the detoxification pathways properly we increase inflammation and thus increase stress. We need to support GI clearance and cellular excretion first before proceeding to Phase 1&2. Lastly, toxins/chemicals interfere or shift hormone metabolism and change behavior of estrogen receptors.

Thuy Tran says:

Thank you for your generosity of sharing significant clinical tips with all of us consistently. Love all the tips you share. One that resonates with me the most is for us to be healthy, we have to be different. It is a challenge to encourage a young person to be different. Also, I learn a new pearl, sluggish thyroid will cause sluggish digestion, sluggish nutrient absorption hence leads to problems with weight loss. Thanks!

Stefanie Harris says:

I really enjoyed the FB live today on Weight Loss Myth’s & Truth’s since this is such a huge topic, concern, and frustration for so many people Some of the pearl’s I took away is our body is designed to protect us. When we experience metabolic stress, our body goes into survival mode and can increase adipose tissue even if we are not eating much. Also, identifying insulin resistance before it gets to the 3rd or 4th stage by checking Fasting Insulin levels vs. Fasting glucose. Another great pearl was finding the root cause of the dis-ease in the body can result in weight loss as a nice side effect. But we need to make sure to set our clients up for success and take precautions when the body is losing weight by assisting with detoxing the toxins that are being released. The information form this session was enlightening and I’m looking forward to diving deeper into this subject. Thank you! Tracy

Angie says:

Wow I love your video. I agree with your three clinical pears. I am most intreged to learn more about toxins and the gut.
    I know one of the medications you mentioned that can be harmful for the gut is oral birth control and I am curious on what your recommendations are to prevent pregnancy without taking it. I know I have heard some men refuse to wear condoms, while other contraceptives options may not be as effective or can alter the normal flora in a womans vagina and cause other problems.
    I am so excited to start classes in January and learn more about Functional medicine. Thanks for taking the time to make this video and share it with us.

Durrell Handwerger says:

The comprehensive, root cause approach to weight loss, is not a quick fix but it’s sustainable and is in the long term healthier. I appreciate that you presented that message as well as a total picture of all the contributing factors. Thank you.

Mary S. says:

Thanks once again for a dynamic FB Live!
    Lots of solid information as always but your reminder about the toxins that get slathered on skin really resonates right now. Ive been asking clients to think about the increaseD use of hand sanitizer and anti bacterial sprays and wipes right now . The potential for health consequences in the future-
    So grateful for your events…

Eucheria Mbata says:

I am a PMHNP. My clinical pear today is learning the effects of disease, chemical and obesity. I never thought chemicals and toxin can affect obesity. Tracy is right, if disease is addressed, weight loss will often be the undecided side effects.

Louisa Asare says:

Thanx for this information. Three factors that cause weight gain that l learn today is hypothyroidism, Insulin resistance and estrogen dorminance. Thank you

Janise Piap says:

Wow! I loved this FB live. So many great pearls. The one that stuck and which I will be sharing with my clients is that when we address the dis-ease or imbalance mechanisms in the body first, weight loss will be the uninteneded side effect that your body will give you (on purpose) because the body knows it’s no longer in survival mode.

Sachi Del Marmol says:

The clinical pearl that I gained was the importance of checking for hyperinsulinemia in patients who’s labs are not showing prediabetes/ diabetes.

Kristel Wiesner says:

I’m a registered dietitian and look forward to all your fb lives as they are rich with great information and inspiration. Thank you Tracy! Two new things I learned today were that 1) fasting releases toxins, 2) a pattern of hypoglycemia may precede hyperglycemia due to high fasting insulin that’s been going on for a while.

Bukky Olawale says:

I am a health coach. I agree with you Tracy that there is the need to educate people about the use of toxic chemicals in cosmetics.
    Whatever you cannot eat should not be put on your body.