I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you. At SAFM we honor that scientific knowledge is always evolving. That’s why we regularly revise our content in light of new research findings.

This information is CRITICAL for ALL practitioner modalities.

Are you confident in Why They Don’t Get Better as seen through the functional medicine lens?

Although you may already be a savvy practitioner, I am certain you will learn something new in this video. You’ll walk away with pages of notes and practical pearls you can use in your practice right away.

• Ah, the revolving door of gut imbalances … think beyond the GI tract and microbes this time.
  • When the true root cause of disease doesn’t even involve any anatomy?
  • Replacing medications with supplements is Not functional medicine. And often doesn’t address true root causes!
  • Its not about what actually happened; it’s about what you think happened?
  • The #1 overlooked, insidious root cause of recurring disease – that even savvy practitioners often miss.
  • Unexpected root causes in unexpected exposures.
  • You’ve got to go there: who are you sleeping with?
  • Are you suppressing the very thing most needed to promote healing?

Below, please find the first 16 minutes of this Facebook Live which was interrupted by a technical hiccup. Some powerful points covered here as well. Don’t miss out!

87 Questions for “Deep Dive on Why They Don’t Get Better: Unexpected, Practical Insights for Practitioners”

navigate comments 1 2 3 4 5
    Nour El Nahlawy says:

I was inspired today by the ‘back to basics’ that never gets old…stress relieve and sleep! The simple things that we should always remind our clients of. I also liked the interconnectidness between liver dysfunction, estrogen dominance, zinc and copper balance and gut infections! Fascinating!

Lucy Bhalla says:

Thank you for another brilliant webinar, Tracy!
    Its good to be reminded about the issues of sleep & stress.
    The interconnectedness about how high & low cortisol can affect the thyroid, how congested liver interferes with T4-T3 conversion which leads to low motility and therefore causes constipation. Its also very insightful to learn about the impact on childhood trauma which is the area I needed to work on.
    Thank you again for your generous pearls!

Diana says:

Wow, what a rich webinar, Tracy, thank you. It really helped solidify and repeat core semester concepts. What was an eye opener for me was the pathway how mold in the house/bed room can lead to poor sleep quality. I knew of course that mold/mycotoxins can lead to chronic health issues but this very direct impact on cortisol and therefore on melatonin and sleep quality has not stood out to me so clearly before. As you were describing the mechanism, mold actually came into my head just before you said it. Powerful learning.
    Thank you.

jess redpath says:

love the continued learning about the interconnections of health and well being. todays Pearl is the connection between previous trauma and health. it is a very good reminder or information for practitioners to recall that not all traumas are at the forefront of the brain, some are locked away tight and have numerous effects on individuals without them even being able join the pieces for sometime. referrals and working with multi-modalities is important.
    as a social worker and a nurse, now studying at SAFM i am very interested in expanding my knowledge in this area and assisting people.
    thank you for taking your time to share your wealth of knowledge

Kim Williamson says:

Thanks for the informative video!
    Here are a few takeaways:
    1- Childhood trauma that is not addressed can be an obstacle to getting better
    2- Stress weakens the immune system
    3- Need to look at thyroid levels intracellularly

Kristen Bauer says:

Interesting…zinc and copper compete. I hope to hear the rest of the video when the technical difficulties are ironed out

Maureen says:

Such rich and rapid fire nuggets showering me with inspiration and motivation. Love it all. I so appreciate your visceral sharing on trauma swept me away. your examples on how to approach it with clients was very very helpful. Thank you so much.

Angela Austin says:

Thank you for another great live! I love how you present all the information you share, very easy to understand. The childhood trauma really hit home for me. It’s definitely something I will look at for myself as well as clients.

Sandy Anderson says:

This was a wonderfully informative presentation…thank you Tracy! The reminders about deep sleep in continued healing were powerful, including how disruptive television and/or lights on in the room can be to our sleep. I also gained so much from your talk on the impact of childhood trauma & abuse on our belief system and overall health & wellness. As always, appreciate your free flowing pearl waterfalls! 🙂

Anna Marie Green says:

I’m a nurse practitioner in my first semester of SAFM. Thanks for another informative Facebook Live! So many pearls, but my favorites were:

1. Chronic stress puts us in a sympathetic mode which purposefully suppresses our immune system so it can focus on surviving. When we finally rest (vacation) and get into a parasympathetic mode, our body’s immune system response bounces back to finally combat an underlying infection (bacterial, viral, etc). This makes total sense when I think about how I always get a cold sore a few days after a stressful time or a sinus infection after the holidays and a house full of relatives!

2. The physiological effects of childhood trauma (especially in children under 7 years old) on the nervous and immune systems that pervade a lifetime of chronic illness.

Tina McCaffrey says:

Love how you tie together subclinical hypothyroidism, stress management, diet, nutritional imbalances with the optimal microbial balance. Too many women have been prescribed antidepressants instead of looking for the root cause.
    Take away the negative effect of estrogen dominance on zinc & copper balance & its effect on immunity.

Thank you for the FB Live.

Cheryl Ledward says:

I really appreciate everyone of your lectures. Today I loved what you taught about trauma. I had an overweight patent Who had experienced a lot of trauma in her life,she would not go to doctors because of a fear of being touched or looked at, so we started just by talking and slowly as the months passed she began to trust me enough to let me do a physical exam! What a triumph that was. I wish I knew then whet I have learnt from you lessons,

Lisa Vosloo says:

Thanks once again for a super informative Facebook live! I really enjoy these each and every month. Thanks too for the reminder that traumatic experiences from childhood, if left unchecked, can be disastrous to one’s mental health as an adult.

Brandy Grantham says:

Thanks Tracy for another fantastic live presentation! So, so many layers that can all cause the same dis-ease in our patients. Trauma and the mind-body connection are so important to discuss with people who are seemingly on the hamster-wheel of illness..

Justine M Wambach says:

I am currently practicing as a Nurse Practitioner and I loved the info on trauma! I have taken ACE’s training and studied historical trauma, it is quite interesting. My current patient population has a ton of trauma (including historical) along with living in a food desert which has led to extremely poor health outcomes. Also the info on mindset was good too.

Mary Schurr says:

A very good FB live! There were several insights that resonated with me, but if I could only pick a couple…
    1) That low cortisol levels can interfere with the thyroid receptors and create thyroid imbalances. It certainly makes sense that low levels could create stress, but I always thought of high cortisol levels creating bigger issues.
    2) I understand that sleep provides healing and restoration of the body. I knew blood pressure is low at night or should be. But, it’s a good reminder that the healing phase during deep sleep and low blood pressure provide circumstances for the endothelial lining of the blood vessels to repair itself. Perhaps, issues with sleep (not just sleep apnea) create secondary hypertension in many otherwise healthy individuals.

I appreciate learning that something creates a certain problem or resolves a certain problem, but especially learning how and why it does so. I enjoy the “nitty gritty” details and many do not provide that.

Thanks for all you do!

Sheri Task says:

Thank you so much for all the great info. When I tuned in I was reviewing Duease 101 and the interconnection between zinc, copper, and ceruloplasmin one the need for dopamine to be converted to norepinephrine and epinephrine in settings of high stress.

charlotte ott says:

Wow. A light bulb went on for me.
    The LIVER.
    If your liver is clogged it can interfere with metabolizing fat soluble vitamins. If your zinc is low, this can interfere with immune system and make establishing microbial balance very challenging (recurrence of H-pylori). Also, if liver is clogged it can interfere with conversion of T4 to T3 which can contribute to hypothyroid – which can contribute to constipation which can lead to microbial imbalance. Disease begins in the gut but sometimes you have to address the liver to heal the gut.

Kelci says:

This was my first video of yours… amazing. Absolutely brilliant. The pearl on childhood trauma really made sense. I appreciate you giving out information!

Lisa Jones Clark says:

A poorly functioning LIVER can inhibit T4 to T3 conversion causing hypothyroidism! BAM!

navigate comments 1 2 3 4 5