The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you.  At SAFM we teach our students to be both confident and highly skilled at “puzzle piecing” and finding the interconnectedness between pieces of each patient’s unique case. In this presentation, I’ll share a few staples but also a number of unexpected connections which will likely surprise you!

Check out this video to get some clinical pearls you can use in your practice right away.  You’ll learn:

• Example of unexpected connection in Arthritis, Autoimmune disease, and Type 2 diabetes (Ha – I bet you’re surprised!)
  • The Classic Mistake many practitioners are making about Rapid Relief and Root Causes (Are you doing it too?)
  • Most commonly missed impacts of medications
  • Alarming examples of where the typical remedy is actually making the disease process worse (Yes, worse)
  • Where to start when nothing seems to fit together?!? (Yep, we’ve all been there before)

Please add a comment below to share what most resonated with you in this video or feel free to ask a clarifying question. I am very interested in what you think.

Thanks very much for joining in the fun and learning!

If you are not yet a student of SAFM and have questions, you may find more information about the Core 101 Semester Program here.  Or click here and we can happily arrange for you to speak with an SAFM graduate about our program and how it may help you in your specific situation. SAFM is definitely not for everyone. But it may indeed be the next step you are looking for that will Change Everything!

P.S. If you know that healthcare must be transformed to be sustainable and effective, and you believe strongly that Functional Medicine is key to making that happen, we urge you to learn about our semester program.

Like us on Facebook to get more great clinical tips and to get notifications of my next Facebook Live!

215 Questions for “The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness”

navigate comments 1 2 3 4 11
    Kylee Archibald says:

Great info to focus on the basics, thank you!

Debra Negrin says:

Excellent information and delivery style! I am an IIN graduate. While I value what I learned, the course I participated in is more of a general overview of health coaching. After coaching for a year, I feel I can better serve clients with a deeper dive into Functional Medicine. I have become truly fascinated by the interconnections of the body. It’s an area I want to learn more about. Understanding and relating that information to clients will only add to their success in reaching their health goals, and my own personal goals. One of my goals of course, is helping people reach their goals. Thank you for all the information shared today!

Christine says:

This was wonderful; where do I start when it comes to sharing what resonated with me?! I am a nurse and I have been following the functional medicine movement for a few years now, listening to thought leaders at conferences, reading books, and sharing functional nutrition pearls with clients, family, and friends. Today’s webinar offered so many interconnections between systems and symptoms and the gut health piece really resonates strongly especially when I consider all the arthritis issues you discussed that are prevalent in my own family. I have very recently looked into your program and what I think makes it different from others, and very appealing, is the big picture you provide-not just nutrition and coaching but also understanding lab values, system interconnectedness, and impact of medications, to name a few highlights. This is something I have not seen in other programs I have researched. I look forward to following your work and learning more and hopefully joining Core 101 soon!

Suzanne Sheppard says:

Have to listen again but magnesium and lowering BP. Planning to take advantage of the spectra cell micronutrient testing . Had PIH with mylast child at age 41 opted to take milk of mag to decrease BP worked well but never thought of having to continue it now as I have gotten older…… more thinking to do. Thanks

Laura Cope says:

It was all so interesting, some very valuable reminders of things I learned at IIN as well as some new deeper dive points that I am very intrigued about…especially on the subject of thyroid dysfunction and how it affect EVERYTHING. Also, magnesium for blood pressure, and combined with K2 it helps with calcium absorption. Thanks for the information video!!! I look forward to more and am starting my budgeting for your courses!!

Carrie Beck says:

I most liked the examples of the downstream effects of long-term use of medications better suited for triage. It’s disheartening to see how these commonly prescribed remedies provide immediate relief, but open the door for a whole host of new problems down the line. Metformin, Coumadin, and commonly prescribed diuretics are often thought of as ‘safe’ for long-term use, but if patients don’t address what’s at the root of the problem, they are not going to be getting any better. I have worked with older individuals and most of them have an expectation of health problems associated with age, but don’t realize how the medications are perpetuators when used long-term. Thanks for being a light in the darkness, Tracy!

Miriam Ansley says:

Wow! what great information. I especially enjoyed how you described the pooling of debris in joints and how that happens. I may use that in my practice! Also I was really taken aback at info regarding the blocking of Vitamin K2 and how that can lead to soft tissue calcification. I currently have lost one brother to artherosclerosis and have a cousin suffering from this as well. And I could go on and on. I am an RN and I had no idea that the beta blocker is why people are prescribed the diuretic. I did know the diuretic removed electrolytes but I did not fully connect that this contributes to high blood pressure. Wow! The body is very complex and it is important that we understand as much as we can to help treat disease. However, I agree, that most people could be significantly helped with sleep, stress reduction and better food! Thank you!

karrie ellis says:

As a child and adolescent psychiatric aprn, women’s health care nurse practitioner and a student of yoga I have become disenchanted with the “pill pushing” our society is now in and have be seeking paths to use the least amount and shortest duration of medication management while helping my client’s improve their life styles.
    This webinar was eye opening. Thank you so much!
    Karrie Ellis

Jonna says:

Brilliant talk today on FB Live!
    I’m very interested in gut health being a driving factor in overall health and wantvyo know more about that relationship!
    Thank you for the opportunity to win a scholarship!!! It could be the difference between attending and not being financially able to.

Beverly Aiello says:

So fascinating to learn about the inter-connectedness of our bodies, or minds and our health. The very reason for becoming a nurse practitioner. I am constantly delighted by these live presentations. I had been hearing negative things regarding calcium supplementation but the particular biophysiology that you explain is invaluable. Something so important to our bodies, yet (as always I suppose), when ingested in supplement form, without the correct puzzle pieces available for driving it/ transporting it, into bone where it is needed, it ends up doing great harm. Thank you, I am always enriched by by listening to you.

Annette Falconett says:

I actually have two walk away nuggets of knowledge.
    1. As the mom of a T1D I loved your comment about diabetics being told to eat to accommodate the insulin. And too many people believe follow this advice. I get smacked down whenever I post that less junk and carbs equal less insulin needs. I look forward to the day when a healthy diet is the norm.
    2. The comment about joint being slow to heal was very interesting. You spoke of joints as being “stagnate” and therefore slower to flush out debris. I am dealing with a “frozen shoulder” and would have thought just the opposite since our joints give us the flexibility to move. I would love to learn more about this.
    Thank you!

Andrea says:

Hi there,

As always, a really great talk. The concepts themselves I am familiar with but I really enjoyed the way you put them together in a logical sequence. You are a great teacher! One “pearl” I had not paid much attention to: metabolic syndrome and digestive enzymes connection. Thank you!

Chinyere Williams says:

As an autoimmune practitioner, I loved everything you said about the gut, LPS, the interconnectedness between the gut and most disease processes, etc. The joint/”debris” analogy was very useful, I’m sure I’ll be using that one! AND, the tidbits on Fibromyalgia you provided – AWESOME SAUCE! Thank you again Tracy for sharing these clinical pearls with us and in a way that resonates and makes sense. You are awesome at what you do and I am blessed our paths have crossed.

Jasmine Pointer says:

I enjoyed today’s Facebook live session. I loved your discussion on looking at the whole puzzle and how it’s important to get to root cause of dis-ease in order to cure/prevent dis-ease. It makes so much more sense than simply trying to treat the symptoms. I also love that you discussed how it’s important to triage the symptoms initially, but the treatment that may initially address a given situation can eventually worsen the issues. This is an aha moment. There are meds and diets and supplements that will work for individuals at certain times. It’s all very bio-individual.

Meghan says:

Thank you, Tracy! I loved the information about arthritis and gut health, and how the joints can be a trap. Great pearls of wisdom as always!

Maggie Dion says:

Thanks so much for another fabulous and informative session! I appreciate you reiterating the fundamentals around diet, stress, toxin exposure, and hydration. I mention these to all of my clients, but sometimes forget that what is obvious or just a normal part of my day to day can be brand new life changing information for clients. It was a great reminder to keep it up and make sure everyone is aware of how these small changes can make a big difference!

Diving into the various root causes of arthritis and joint pain was also really helpful! Thanks for all that you do to ensure that us practitioners are at the top of our game while supporting our clients.

Amy Williams Kantorowicz says:

I want this course so bad! First for myself as I have PCOS and have difficulty losing weight and second to help clients in my new coaching practice. I love the focus of the body as a whole and the interconnectedness rather than a specific symptom. And “modifying diet to accommodate the drug” drives me crazy. This program will pair beautifully with my background. Thank you!

Virginia Rodriguez Perlado says:

what I found fascinating in today’s Facebook live video is: joints are a place with very low circulation and where inflammation can get accumulated! Where is that inflammation coming from? It could be from the Gut.

Beth Parry says:

Working in the Physical therapy realm, I deal with so many patients that deal with chronic joint pain. I loved the part when Tracy talked about what we eat and how it can cause inflammation and settle in our joints. This was soooo informative and I can not wait to start this course to learn more about the cause and effects of dis-ease!!

Heather Gill says:

So excited to start in a couple days. If these FB lives and webinars are any indication of what I will learn you are charging far too little. This was another great talk. I look forward to all of them. Thank you Tracy and team!

navigate comments 1 2 3 4 11