The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you.  At SAFM we teach our students to be both confident and highly skilled at “puzzle piecing” and finding the interconnectedness between pieces of each patient’s unique case. In this presentation, I’ll share a few staples but also a number of unexpected connections which will likely surprise you!

Check out this video to get some clinical pearls you can use in your practice right away.  You’ll learn:

• Example of unexpected connection in Arthritis, Autoimmune disease, and Type 2 diabetes (Ha – I bet you’re surprised!)
  • The Classic Mistake many practitioners are making about Rapid Relief and Root Causes (Are you doing it too?)
  • Most commonly missed impacts of medications
  • Alarming examples of where the typical remedy is actually making the disease process worse (Yes, worse)
  • Where to start when nothing seems to fit together?!? (Yep, we’ve all been there before)

Please add a comment below to share what most resonated with you in this video or feel free to ask a clarifying question. I am very interested in what you think.

Thanks very much for joining in the fun and learning!

If you are not yet a student of SAFM and have questions, you may find more information about the Core 101 Semester Program here.  Or click here and we can happily arrange for you to speak with an SAFM graduate about our program and how it may help you in your specific situation. SAFM is definitely not for everyone. But it may indeed be the next step you are looking for that will Change Everything!

P.S. If you know that healthcare must be transformed to be sustainable and effective, and you believe strongly that Functional Medicine is key to making that happen, we urge you to learn about our semester program.

Like us on Facebook to get more great clinical tips and to get notifications of my next Facebook Live!

215 Questions for “The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness”

navigate comments 1 2 3 4 5 11
    Beth says:

First of all Tracy, many thanks for the generous and easy to digest (haha) information you share. I love it all. Today I have 3 pages of notes, even though I said this time I’m just going to watch, listen and absorb. But, I have to tell you that what makes me die for this training is the bridges you build. When you talk it just all comes together for me. I’m often overwhelmed with where to start, how to proceed, interpret, and create a plan of action. I don’t want to work feeling unsure and in a panic mode. I want to be able to see the bigger picture, where to start and work methodically – all the while seeing up and downstream.
    I am currently working with a few women struggling with hashimotos. Today, when you talked about cellular metabolism, which means every single cell in our body, hence sluggish EVERYTHING, and the tremendous interconnection, a light went off for me. Nothing in our body lives in a vacuum.
    Anyway, sorry for lengthy post…my fingers, eyes and toes are crossed for this final drawing. Saving and planning for next semester in the meantime 🙂

Adrienne Markus says:

I loved the whole thing! I did find the information on diabetes and insulin interesting as I’m seeing more and more diabetics in my health coaching practice. Thank you so much for a great webinar!

Donna Ake says:

Thank you Tracy for another informative Live!!
    T2D and the insulin resistance has reached epidemic proportions. This is SO greatly misunderstood by the general public. The fact that it isn’t address before it reaches the level of a clinical diagnosis criteria is mind-blowing to me, particularly when the markers are there with just a little bit of investigation. T2D is something that I personally have struggled with for 18 yrs, even as a Health Coach and knowing what I know about diet and nutrition! (since I haven’t been able to shut it off yet which has been beyond frustrating!) FM has opened windows for me to look beyond JUST the insulin resistance into a deeper investigation for connected and underlying causes, food sensitivities, etc., However, working with my ND with a FM approach, I am now on my way to being done with it, once and for all. Functional. Medicine. Is. Amazing. Period. And, I am so VERY excited to be here and a part of this shift.
    Blessings!

Gina Heath says:

What I found most fascinating and what resonated the most for me was hearing the part on hypothyroidism and how it produces sluggishness in various areas of the body to include digestion and even the mind. You made it very easy to understand the correlation of how all of the “slowness” throughout the body is interconnected instead of being treated as separate symptoms.
    Autoimmune disorders are a passion of mine to learn more about. I think of these as puzzles in the body. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in 2007 and put myself in remission in 2014. This is where my passion comes from having lived with this. This is a focus on my practice along with gut health and food sensitivities. As a graduate of IIN, your courses would be a great stepping stone to go into a deeper understanding of the body, diseases and gut health.
    Thank you very much for the facebook webinar!

Margaret Hastings says:

I am so excited to learn more with you! I found it extremely interesting how low thyroid levels are not always addressed in blood work but the symptoms are obvious. Also, found it alarming that medication and diet are adjusted to accommodate other medications, instead of diet and foods consumed being address to eliminate health issues being medicated in the first place. Also is there any type of referral program credit for someone who I encourage to enroll as well?

Jo-De Davis says:

Good afternoon!

I thought it was thought-provoking to remember not losing sight of the FUNDAMENTALS when trying to diagnose a medical issue. For example, as practitioners, we need to look at lifestyle – eating crap foods, amount of stress on an individual, and sleep habits – even dehydration… before diving deep into microbial and other possible factors. It is easy to dive deeply into some murky, geeky research when perhaps all we need to do is a little freestyle on the surface!

Also, Tracy’s style and enthusiasm is contagious! Her personal methodology in explaining disease, treatment, and other topics from functional medicine are easily understood. I have always used mnemonics as part of my learning style and the analogies she shared [for example – looking at the jigsaw puzzle picture before putting the puzzle together, and the eddy in the river trapping all sorts of crap and getting closed up (joint analogy)] will continue to resonate with me and I would hopefully she won’t mind if I use them with my clients.

Thank you again for today’s live seminar. A great way to start the new year and the rest of our lives!

Nicole (Nikoleta) Kordela Kordela says:

I hope this is the right place for me to add my comment,( in order to be eligible for a potential winning of your great gift of a free tuition, which would be a blessing, )even though the title ask a question. If not I apologize, but I am not very keen on using the computer , faceboo, thumbs up except for emails.. Given this, I would like to emphasize on the following : Even though 90% of what you mentioned is something I know and apply in my approach with the patients, I found great the fact of you having such a passion when you talk about these issues. Being such a vivid person, you have the charisma of “dragging” people to follow you. The new information for me was the existence of 2 different types of Vitamin K, which opened a new interesting path. So, my impression is that I made the best choice to have joined the school of SAFM, and look forward to our courses.
    Thank you for the chance to potentially become a winner. Kind regards

Lauren Mullan says:

WOW! Where to begin…. Just counted and I have 5 pages of notes that I took from your FB Live webinar. Just one thing I learned….not likely… try multiple things I learned!! Insulin resistance leading to decreased digestive enzymes = leaky gut and food sensitivities = feeling bad! Using insulin as triage and to then get diet managed so they don’t stay dependent on insulin with downstream negative effects from insulin. Who knew? Mind blown… Another “AHA”: increased Lipopolysaccharids (LPS) due to sluggish bile and then downstream immunity issues resulting in clients feeling bad….. Takeaway: get GUT in balance!! Its crazy how eating effects the gut which then unbalances hormones which leads to a plethora of negative body experiences! I love how FX medicine looks at still seeing mainstream western medicine as important, but still highlights getting to the ROOT of the problem to REVERSE disease and dis-ease! The diuretic (for hypertension/edema) and it’s consequent depletion on magnesium which leads to blood vessel elasticity reduction is ridiculously crazy! Then your “pearl” about blood thinners that reduce vitamin K and can potentially lead to calcification of vessels is amazing…. I’ve already learned SOOOOOO much and the semester that I signed up for has yet to start! Finding your school has truly been a life changing moment for me – Finding my TRUE path, I know deep down in my soul, is so exciting and liberating all at once!!! Traci – thank you for being you and following what appears to be your “TRUE PATH” and sharing your infinite knowledge. Well done Traci!

Pat Yancey says:

Samantha Press says:

What really resonated with me from the start of the live video was when you eluded to practitioners including yourself at one point, wanting to dive into the more complex issues of a client bypassing some of the most foundational elements first! That is so me! It was a great reminder that even though some of the most simple lifestyle techniques aren’t so called always ” sexy” still have such a profound effect on the bodies processes and need to be addressed first prior to going super deep! I really want to be able to do both, continue providing clients with the base foundational elements to good health, as well as being able to become more of a detective to get to the deeper root causes of their issues. I also enjoyed learning more about causes of joint inflammation in the body such as debris being caught in the joints since there isn’t a lot of circulation thus the reason for slower tissue repair! I would love the opportunity to attend this school and thank you for your consideration!

Liana Garibyan says:

Thank you for the many insightful pearls. I have been suffering from food allergies and sensitivity’s for the past seven years. You information you provided about everything starting in the gut and effecting the head a few months down the road really resonates with me. I would love to study at the school of functional medicine. It would be a tremendous opportunity to better my health and help so many in need. Thanks again for the video!

Shelley Henk says:

I enjoyed today’s lesson so much. I am a Certified Whole Health Educator and RN, BSN. I have spent the last 18 months becoming certified. I really wish I would have seen this coarse first, I would choose this program instead. What I liked today was going over the different medicines and how they are counter productive to long term healing. This is such wisdom. Wish I wouldn’t have already spent all my money on the other program. It is a good program and I learned a lot. What I like about what you teach is that it is complete with the labs and more of a scientific approach. Sometimes I feel like I am guessing as to what the root cause is. I know there is so much more to learn. Keep inspiring us, you do a great job. You also have a gift for teaching and explain things very well.

Pat Yancey says:

This video validates a lot of my current thinking. I liked the example of insulin dependent diabetes and how diet is tailored to the medicine, the very medicine that treats a disease that has a huge dietary component to management. This portrays a cycle that FM can address. Thank you!

Shelley Henk says:

I enjoyed today’s lesson so much. I am a Certified Whole Health Educator and RN, BSN. I have spent the last 18 months becoming certified and spent a lot of money. I really wish I would have seen this coarse first, I would choose this program instead. What I liked today was going over the different medicines and how they are counter productive to long term healing. This is such wisdom. Wish I wouldn’t have already spent all my money on the other program. It is a good program and I learned a lot. What I like about what you teach is that it is complete with the labs and more of a scientific approach. Sometimes I feel like I am guessing as to what the root cause is. I know there is so much more to learn. Keep inspiring us, you do a great job. You also have a gift for teaching and explain things very well.

Michael Reid says:

Thank you so much Tracy and I’m always excited about the pearls shared and especially today with regards to individuals and T2 diabetes in having sub-optimal digestive enzymes.

Catherine Santini says:

Hi Tracey,
    Most resonated was sleep….all summer I have been unbalanced, due to not sleeping well. Stress and burn out from current job. Sleep is something we all take for granted but is really vital. It has taken me ( on vacation now) 7 days and shifting my foods around to wake up only once at night. It is really basic but a needed foundation for Health Coaches to start with helping clients. And most people i talk to have no idea about proper water maintenance.
    It would be amazing to be able to take this course with you. There were amazing coaches listening to you today.
    Catherine Santini

Sari Ledwitz Valentino says:

Hi I liked the information dealing with Gut issues I have an adult son with autism with gut issues would love to be able to take your course I am a single mom work part time, would love to be able to help special needs individuals with their diets. thank you Sari

Lee Connelly says:

Great presentation, and I really thought the analogy of putting the pieces of the puzzle together was perfect! I especially liked, and will use with my clients, the basic “border” pieces you discussed when starting out with a client: adequate sleep, stress reduction, eliminating crap food, and hydration. I’ve known and addressed thyroid issues with clients as I personally have Hashimoto’s and know the effects of a sluggish thyroid on the body! New to me was identifying the effect of certain medications on the body as a whole organism (or being) with long term use. This was fascinating to me and I am hungry to learn more about the long-term effect of other medications on the body, ways to dig for upstream root causes of the symptoms, and how to effectively work with clients who are on these prescription medications.

Meghan says:

Thank you, Tracy! Great pearls of wisdom as always. I especially enjoyed the info about arthritis and gut health, and about how the joints can be traps.

Anita Hamilton-Williams says:

I particularly appreciate how useful and practical the information is that you share. I loved the analogy of the puzzle pieces and corner pieces and reminding us to fully address these basics before digging deeper. Also enjoyed the information regarding lipopolysaccharides and the connection with bile for metabolite breakdowns and the implication if there is no gallbladder, which appears to be fairly common.

navigate comments 1 2 3 4 5 11