The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you.  At SAFM we teach our students to be both confident and highly skilled at “puzzle piecing” and finding the interconnectedness between pieces of each patient’s unique case. In this presentation, I’ll share a few staples but also a number of unexpected connections which will likely surprise you!

Check out this video to get some clinical pearls you can use in your practice right away.  You’ll learn:

• Example of unexpected connection in Arthritis, Autoimmune disease, and Type 2 diabetes (Ha – I bet you’re surprised!)
  • The Classic Mistake many practitioners are making about Rapid Relief and Root Causes (Are you doing it too?)
  • Most commonly missed impacts of medications
  • Alarming examples of where the typical remedy is actually making the disease process worse (Yes, worse)
  • Where to start when nothing seems to fit together?!? (Yep, we’ve all been there before)

Please add a comment below to share what most resonated with you in this video or feel free to ask a clarifying question. I am very interested in what you think.

Thanks very much for joining in the fun and learning!

If you are not yet a student of SAFM and have questions, you may find more information about the Core 101 Semester Program here.  Or click here and we can happily arrange for you to speak with an SAFM graduate about our program and how it may help you in your specific situation. SAFM is definitely not for everyone. But it may indeed be the next step you are looking for that will Change Everything!

P.S. If you know that healthcare must be transformed to be sustainable and effective, and you believe strongly that Functional Medicine is key to making that happen, we urge you to learn about our semester program.

Like us on Facebook to get more great clinical tips and to get notifications of my next Facebook Live!

215 Questions for “The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness”

navigate comments 1 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Claudia Seviciu says:

Hello, it is the first of Tracy’s live presentations that I listened to entirely and …..loved it!
    I felt very attracted by and interested in knowing more….I loved the initial reminder of how to start with clients…so clean and and amazing reminder!!!
    Autoimmunity, truly great being reminded again of the why behind the symptoms…..
    Diabetes ,Thyroid,insulin dependency, arthritis, etc. hard to choose…..all so very light shedding!!!
    The need of Magnesium pared up with K2 regarding the right distribution of calcium…..!!!
    It makes me want to take all the existing classes!!! Ha….
    thank you for all the metaphors and enthusiastic presentation!!!

Janne Mellon says:

Wow! This was my first opportunity to listen to one of your videos/FB Live and I hung on every word! Love this stuff and absolutely believe it is the ‘cure’ for allopathic medicine 🙂 Many favourite bits but I liked that you touched on even natural medication/supps should not be a long term thing. This is something I am struggling with myself at the moment. Thanks for a great talk, I look forward to hearing more!

Stephanie Grant says:

I learn so much from your pearls. I needed the reminder about the possibility of high cortisol at night possibly causing sleep problems so I’m looking forward to suggesting testing to a couple of clients who’ve been struggling in this area.

Tanja says:

Tracy, your passion is tangible and inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your pearls with us! Functional medicine is my path–I feel it in my bones. I try to learn and absorb as much information as possible, but it’s never enough because there’s always something else out there to learn.

I appreciate all of the details you shared with us. From the basics of ‘controllable’ poor sleep and toxins, to some of the harder, but still possible to change stress and toxins. I love how functional medicine gets down to the most basic, but also most important details (i.e.: diuretics depleting magnesium, which can then reduce blood vessel elasticity. Yikes! That can’t be helpful for heart health!).

I intend to someday become a student at The School of Applied Functional Medicine. Winning this scholarship will help to make it happen that much sooner! I’ll cross my fingers! Thank you!

richard scott says:

Thanks for taking me back to basic.

Dawn says:

Great material, as always, Tracy! Thank you! I loved the reminder about the low hanging fruit, because I always wanna hurry and get to the root(s) since that’s what’s causing the suffering. I also loved the pearl about joints and how they trap “garbage”. I never thought about it like that before. We have a water system at work that traps biofilm in the deadlegs after periods of shutdown. Same thing. Makes total sense.

frieda telemans says:

WOW, WOW, WOW,… how do i remember it all? Very fascinating stuff. I will listen a few more times, at least
    Great advice was to start with the corner pieces of the puzzle, and keep it simple for starters.
    The upstream/downstream concept is an eye opener, so different.
    Ii also love how you talk to the clients, the stories you tell them. I have no doubt they remember !
    I need to listen to it again, right now 🙂 Tracy, thank you sooooo much

Lucy Coppes says:

This was such an informative video! I love thinking of health as a puzzle and start first at the edges and work your way in. Keep it simple! There is no need to over complicate this! There were so many pieces of information that was included in this video that I am going to have to go back and watch it again and take lots of notes! There were some many things that I can take away from this that expanded my horizons on how to take care of my health and the health of my clients!

CJ SILBERMAN says:

Like Dr Mark Hyman says “medicine is at the end of your fork, not at the end of a syringe.”

Michele Carty says:

Thank you SAFM for your Facebook live posts and webinars! It has help to feed my desire for more information and convinced me that I would truely benefit from furthing my education in Functional Medicine. I am so interested in the Gut and how it effects so much of the body. Please keep the information coming!!!!! Thank you!

Diane Beckwermert says:

Lots of good info in your video today. What I stood out for me today was the connection of joint pain and the gut . I also liked your analogy of the toxins and the stream.

Ela Conner says:

Sleep, seems so simple but really an essential part of all healing protocols. Getting clients to place value on this importance will be key.

Sandra Diaz says:

Tracy, this by far the best Facebook Live I have listened to by you yet! There are so many gems here and I will be listening to again when I can take notes. I loved the information about the joints being a repository for toxins in the body. It makes me curious about the connection to yin yoga (I’m a yoga instructor as well as health coach) in perhaps helping remove toxins in conjunction with the lymphatic system. Also the info about K2 and magnesium and how it helps place calcium in the bones that might otherwise go to soft tissue. It gave me something to look into for a client who has calcification of the lymph nodes occurring.

I so appreciate how much information you share with us, and hope to attend your school one day!

Sandra

Dawn Browm says:

I learned a lot about the connection between pancreatic insufficiency and the pancreas not producing enzymes as well as insulin leading to gut microbiome problems. Similarly hypothyroidism, poor digestion and microbiome imbalance. It truly does all go back to the gut.

Kelly Crenshaw says:

Thank you so much for the information. I am particularly interested in what you mentioned about the cause of SIBO, as my mother has been dealing with this for months. I am also fascinated with joint pain and treatments.

Kari Klaserner says:

I enjoyed learning about the interconectedness of the body.
    The simplicity of addressing sleep, stress and food really helps
    Was very helpful. Thank you!

Mariner Garcia says:

Thank you for sharing these powerful clinical pearls! What caught my attention was when you mentioned about the low output of insulin by pancreas in the case of diabetes, there’s also a corresponding decreased output of digestive enzymes which sets the stage for microbial growth and other gut problems down the road. I never thought of it like that before.

Another concept that resonated with me is the joint being a trap for inflammatory compounds due to lesser stream of blood circulation, that it’s important to look outside of the joint for the source of inflammation especially in cases where there’s no trauma/surgery on that particular joint.

Kristen Chila says:

Hello Tracy!

I wanted to thank Dr. Karen Moriarty for directing me to your school of applied functional medicine. After watching your class on Constipation and now this lecture on interconnectedness. I am amazed at your knowledge and your ability to break down complex issues or illnesses to be easier understood. Being able to find the root cause is a real break through and allows one to heal internally versus masking the problem with toxic medications.
    What really resonated with me, was how disfunction and dis-ease often moves from one place to another. Like you were saying, if you have joint pain there is most likely a reason behind that and you have to look deeper to come to an understanding of how all the systems are interconnected. Looking at the body as a whole-istic approach is like putting together the puzzle pieces as you say it to actual healing while preventing more dis-ease. I really love what you’re doing and would love to be apart of your Core 101 semester!

Best,
    Kristen

David Waldman says:

The pearl on warfarin blocking K1 & K2 leading to artherosclerosis ironically leading to cardiovascular dz. is trading one thing for another for the poor patient.

Allison Blankenship says:

Ahhh, one of your pearls just revealed the root cause of my husband’s recent tendonitis. He takes Lasix for hypertension, which resulted in a magnesium/potassium deficiency, which resulted in acute tendonitis. We’ve been treating with magnesium/potassium supplementation and he’s been improving, but I hadn’t put the puzzle together to understand that the root cause was the diuretic! Thank you for that pearl. My other FM coaching school never covered the medical interconnections like you do!

navigate comments 1 6 7 8 9 10 11