The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness

I am so excited to share this Facebook Live and THESE POWERFUL PEARLS of functional medicine with you.  At SAFM we teach our students to be both confident and highly skilled at “puzzle piecing” and finding the interconnectedness between pieces of each patient’s unique case. In this presentation, I’ll share a few staples but also a number of unexpected connections which will likely surprise you!

Check out this video to get some clinical pearls you can use in your practice right away.  You’ll learn:

• Example of unexpected connection in Arthritis, Autoimmune disease, and Type 2 diabetes (Ha – I bet you’re surprised!)
  • The Classic Mistake many practitioners are making about Rapid Relief and Root Causes (Are you doing it too?)
  • Most commonly missed impacts of medications
  • Alarming examples of where the typical remedy is actually making the disease process worse (Yes, worse)
  • Where to start when nothing seems to fit together?!? (Yep, we’ve all been there before)

Please add a comment below to share what most resonated with you in this video or feel free to ask a clarifying question. I am very interested in what you think.

Thanks very much for joining in the fun and learning!

If you are not yet a student of SAFM and have questions, you may find more information about the Core 101 Semester Program here.  Or click here and we can happily arrange for you to speak with an SAFM graduate about our program and how it may help you in your specific situation. SAFM is definitely not for everyone. But it may indeed be the next step you are looking for that will Change Everything!

215 Questions for “The Power of Functional Medicine Interconnectedness”

navigate comments 1 7 8 9 10 11
    Christy says:

Really enjoyed the pearls on the less commonly thought of medication effects

Linda Martin says:

I am really thrilled that I had the chance to listen in today. It is a really fasinating. The connection between arthritis and other diseasesis some thing I’ve never heard before but makes sense. I will definitely be doing more research on it. Thank you again for bring this fascinating information to all of us.

Joan Plante says:

Tracy, this society has moved so far away from a natural life that it’s no wonder that we need tobreturn to the cellular level of functional medicine. Your discussions about sleep and toxins resonate with me. I graduated nursing school in 1983 and feel like i have to return to learn more. Thanks.
    Joan

Melissa Homner says:

Tracy; I knew when I first heard a video that you did, this information is what I need. There are two things that are huge to me…one is the jigsaw puzzle analogy…I am currently working with a client who has turned into a jigsaw puzzle! She has so many things going on that I am struggling (and spending a lot of time in research) to know how to direct her. I am working upstream but my current knowledge is not enough! The other thing that you mentioned is a map to use as a guide to figuring out the pieces of the puzzle, grouping them, then finding the solutions. That would be priceless! I am currently going with my gut and limited knowledge! A logical system to follow would be SO helpful! BTW, I am just graduating from IIN and that is my foundational training to date. Currently 4 clients, 2 in the pipeline. This way of healing is my passion! As a gal who was ready for a wheelchair with MS 6 years ago and is now symptom free, unless I mess up with my diet, this is the way to health for people with autoimmune dis-ease! My story is on my FB page at Sagebrush Wellness. Thank you for all you do! Melissa Homner, Sagebrush Wellness

Bernadette says:

Hi Tracy,

Always great listening to you. There’s always something new to learn.

What I valued most was learning about the dynamics between LPS in the gut, intestinal permeability and joint dysfunction.

The interconnectedness is fascinating.

Thank you for sharing.

Judy Hahn says:

Such a good reminder to drink, reduce stress and take care of one’s self.

So interesting that the root cause of an issue can be very distant in space and time. You might have something wrong going on in your gut and 6 months later you have a problem with your brain.

Thanks so much for another great Facebook Live!

Mara says:

I went to a different functional medicine coaching school. It was so amazing. Watching you makes me want to learn more. Put more puzzle pieces together for me and my knowledge and for everyone I can help. This seems like the right place for me to take a deeper dive. So greatful for even just this talk today to get me so excited about learning more, living more.

Michelle Mack says:

Every time I listen to your clinical tips Tracy, I walk away with so many knowledge nuggets!! Your teaching style and enthusiasm makes an otherwise complicated subject, easy to grasp and understand. I’m currently working with two clients that have Thyroid disfunction, Type 2 diabetes, eczema and of course other dis ease in their body as a result. Thank you for the reminder that everything is interconnected and diving in a little deeper on these particular illnesses.

I can’t wait to dive deep into ALL the excellent course information and materials you so generously provide to help us help our clients who are suffering and thus be successful in what we love to do. Your contribution in education on Functional Medicine is priceless. I’ve looked at a lot other other “educational programs” but SAFM is my home. Thank you for your no nonsense, straight forward clinical based information and for your off the charts enthusiasm!! Cheers to a Healthy New Year! ❤️

Amy G says:

First, I love the presentation style of your videos. They are enthusiastic and I appreciate the repetition of information and analogies. I found the whole talk on Thyroid incredibly relevant. I am trying to get clinical hours as an Integrative Health Coach so I am volunteering with a practitioner who has been healing for 30 years. It is amazing to me how many young women (mostly) come in just so depressed and fatigued with all these lists of symptoms. Conventional medicine focuses on just quieting the symptoms and not from the symptoms as clues. Even worse is the number of people coming in who had their thyroids removed due to “chronic issues” — and men who have had their gall bladders removed (seems the pattern). It’s alarming. I am trying to take in as much information as I can. Tonight I listened with my four kids (ages 6-13). They have so enjoyed my health coaching journey from cooking classes to health focused seminars. They listened closely and focused on the part about Joint Pain and the holding of toxins. They hear people in our friends and family circles complain about arthritis and it was interesting to go through the crappy food, stress, sleep, and hydration points with them and hear their observations. I wish I had filmed the conversation. We also valued the term “wisdom of the body” and how much truth lies there. Listen to the body is a big term in our house. I believe they are the champions of the health revolution so what I learn, they learn. And they teach and mentor their peers in the most natural way. I really hope they can change the pendulum of health in the future. While we are chasing health, I hope they can catch health — so to speak. Great session tonight. One day I hope to be in your course. It would be so incredibly valuable. I am particularly interested in learning more about testing that can be done to provide clients with facts. There is just so much out there and claims are all over the board. Or — not easily accessible to a health coach or financially outrageous for the client. Just having facts that are relevant and easily applied to fostering behavior transformation management is so useful . Also, food combinations that help or hinder some of the popular chronic diseases. Thank you most genuinely.

Marina Raban says:

Really liked the jigsaw puzzle analogy and finding the “border” pieces first: sleep, stress, food/food like substances and hydration.
    Sleep is a huge issue for many people and doing another FB life on sleep would have been wonderful.
    Nice reminder of checking clients intuition: ask them and stop talking! “People tent to know what is up with them!”
    Love the clinical pearls that Tracy gives and also analogies! Would love to participate in the semester and diving deep into learning and help more people, but unfortunately can’t afford it. Appreciate Tracy giving all of us an opportunity to win a semester.

Melissa Godar says:

I love your teaching style, passion and enthusiasm!! You make it easy to learn! Thank you for another powerful and informative webinar ! There was so much information that just completely made sense for the first time for me! I am so looking forward to learning more to better serve my patients!

Crystal says:

An insulin surge as a trigger for fat accumulation is new information that has me intrigued to dive deeper. I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to the deep dive.

Becca Moss says:

I like surprises too! What a wonderful way to support functional medicine by giving away a semester!
    So many nuggets of information in this video, thank you.
    A few that caught my attention were magnesium as master electrolytes, food sensitivities and
    chroic arthritis, root cause is distant in space and time, diabetes is a gut disease, and
    how crap food/stress/sleep are at the top of dis-ease.
    Thanks again!

Diana Hardy says:

Thank you for this. It was helpful to listen and find ways of where to start with clients who have so many issues, with a laundry list of symptoms.

Donna Spoerle says:

That was a great video! I have been a nurse for 12 years and just completed a nurse practitioner program. I have been interested in this topic since before nursing school and look forward to attending a program like this to help me in my new practice as an FNP. I learned so much from your videos and can’t wait to apply the information!

Lena says:

I love the reminder to check thyroid! This whole video was great, but as someone who deals with hypothyroidism, it is so good to hear how important it is for our overall wellbeing!!

Bhakti Desai says:

Wow! Once again awesome live session with so many pearls! 3 fundamentals where immediate help can be offered to all clients – sleep, stress and crap food. Everyone can benefit from one or more of these fundamentals. Interconnectedness of hypothyroid, arthritis, psoriasis, diabetes and many other dis-ease whose root cause lies in the GUT!

Short term use of medicine is fine and beneficial but long term use will create disease in another part of the body.

Thank you very much Tracy! I am ready to embrace my purpose of life by learning applied functional medicine as a health coach thereby helping mankind and say goodbye to 20 years of software engineering 9 to 5 work life. Looking forward for Jan 15th!

Megan says:

Tracy,
    Thank you for sharing so many of your clinical pearls of wisdom! Your passion to help others can be felt through the screen! Prior to my nutrition training, I worked in veterinary medicine. It was challenging as my patients didn’t speak. I had to rely on detective skills and labs to figure out the main cause. One of my favorite aspects of that job was that each patient was like a jigsaw puzzle! I love how you brought that concept into your video today. It resonated with me 100%. Thank you for reminding me that it’s best to keep it simple with sleep, stress and poor diet as they all influence our health in a profound way. All to often we get caught up in the lab work that we miss the basics. Happy and healthy New year to you!!!

Eleni Frantzi says:

I find all pearls to be very interesting and especially that about the connectedness between chronic joint pain and gut inflammation. Thank you for sharing and thank you for being you.

Rebecca says:

Love the info you share. Remembering basics of sleep, hydration. Fascinating info on disease and symptoms originating somewhere else. Your pearls are a gift. As a health coach, and former high school science teacher I look forward to learning more from you. Thank you.

navigate comments 1 7 8 9 10 11